Recipe Wk05 Oven Baked Leek and Bacon Risotto
I love risotto. It's gooey but not soggy and so comforting when it's cold. What I don't like? The standing and stirring in the stock all the time. I came across this recipe from bbcgoodfood.com and had never thought of trying to make risotto in the oven. I needed to see whether it worked or not. Here is how it went...
Ingredients (for 4 people)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 rashers smoked back bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 leeks, halved lengthways and finely sliced
- 250g risotto rice
- 700ml hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 175g frozen peas
- 3 tbsp soft cheese
- zest 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/ gas 6. Tip the oil into an ovenproof casserole dish. Add bacon and fry for 2 mins. Add the leeks and cook until soft, but not coloured, for about 4-5 mins. Tip in rice and cook for 1 min more. Pour over stock. Cover and place in the oven for 20 mins, stirring halfway.
- When rice is just tender and all liquid is absorbed, remove from oven and stir in peas. Place back in oven for 2 mins more. Remove and stir in cheese. Add zest and season.