Recipe 23 BBC Good Food Courgette & Tomato Linguni
This recipe from BBC Good Food looked really tasty and I love pasta recipes that encourage eating more veggies. It seemed simple enough to cook as well and I had a long day so just wanted to curl up with a bowl of pasta.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 140g cubed pancetta or diced smoked streaky bacon
- 300g baby courgettes, thickly sliced on the diagonal, or 3 medium courgettes, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- pinch caster sugar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 x 400g cans good-quality plum tomatoes (I used passata I had left over)
- 400g linguine
- handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Cook the pancetta or bacon until crisp, add the courgettes, then sizzle for 4 mins until golden. Add the garlic and chilli to the courgettes, cook for 1 min, then sprinkle with sugar and splash in the vinegar. Tip over the canned tomatoes, turn up the heat, season with salt and pepper, then simmer for 10 mins.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the linguine, then drain. Toss the pasta through the sauce, then scatter with parsley and drizzle with a little more olive oil.
This was a great pasta. I was only making a portion for one person, and it made a lovely saucey pasta. I really like the smokey bacon running through the tomatoes. I also think frying the courgettes with the bacon really helped to add flavour to those as well. I topped mine with dried parsley which tasted yum, but think any herb like oregano or basil would work.