Recipe BBC Good Food 5 A Day Tagine
I have had this recipe saved in my BBC Good Food binder for a while now and always forgot about it. With the government putting an emphasis on eating our portions of fruit and veg each day, it seemed appropriate to give it a try. I personally don't find it particularly hard to eat my five a day, but this would be a great dinner for those who do. Packed full of vegetables, it has plenty of flavour to keep even those meat eaters satisfied. I feel even if there are some people craving a bit of chicken with it, meat would work really well.
- 4 carrots, cut into chunks
- 4 small parsnips, or 3 large, cut into chunks
- 3 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, paprika, cinnamon and mild chilli powder
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 small handfuls soft dried apricots (I used Urban Fruit dried Apricots)
- 2 tsp honey
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Scatter the veg over a couple of baking trays, drizzle with half the oil, season, then rub the oil over the veg with your hands to coat. Roast for 30 mins until tender and beginning to brown.
- Meanwhile, fry the spices in the remaining oil for 1 min – they should sizzle and start to smell aromatic. Tip in the tomatoes, apricots, honey and a can of water. Simmer for 5 mins until the sauce is slightly reduced and the apricots plump, then stir in the veg and some seasoning. Serve with couscous or jacket potatoes.